Project and News
World Premiere: Robert Aldridge, Piano Concerto No. 2
July 30, Brevard Music Center
Continuum 88 Project
Contunuum 88 is a multi-year journey exploring the solo keyboard literature, ink dry and wet, through the lens of compositional genre and pianistic challenges. I will perform significant pieces from the major genres of the piano repertoire, and will commission and premiere new works in these genres by young composers from around the world.
The project began in October 2016, with focus on piano preludes. 2017-8 will be focused on piano etudes. Composers Natalie Williams and Seungyon Kim are writing a set of etudes and a large scale etude-fantasy. 2018-9's theme will be fantasies with Teddy Neidermaier and Shinuh Lee; 2019-20 will be a year of sonatas with Christian Gentry; and 2020-21 will focus on miniatures, variations, and epilogues with Jeremy Podgursky.
2017-8: Etudes Plus
2017-18 season will focus on piano etudes. This is a subject that Chang has focused on for the past 9 years through various concerts, premieres, lectures, workshops, and classroom teaching. This specific interest and research will culminate in a series of performances where she will present etudes old and new, including a new set of etudes by Natalie Williams (2017) as well as a large scale etude-fantasy by Seung Youn Kim.
Brevard Monday Series in Asheville, Brevard, and Hendersonville (March 5-7, 2017)
Three Solo recitals featuring preludes and etudes by Abrahamsen, Chopin, Debssy, Jocelyn Hagen, Ligeti, Mendelssohn, and Earl Wild
Premiere: Natalie Williams, Nos. 1, 2, and 4 from the “Twelves: 6 Etudes” (written for Jihye Chang)
Steinway Gallery, Nashville (April 21)
* Solo recital featuring etudes by Abrahamsen, Chopin, Ligeti, Liszt, Fabian Panisello, Richard Reynolds, Earl Wild
* Premiere: Natalie Williams, No. 5 from the "Twelves: 6 Etudes" (written for Jihye Chang)
Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea “Tuesday Concert Series,” co-presented by the Studio 2021 (May 16, 2017)
Solo recital featuring etudes by Ligeti and other prominent composers of the 21st century, including Abrahamsen, Panisello, Rakowski
Workshop and masterclass with composition students
Premiere: Natalie Williams, No. 6, "Feroce" from "Twelves: 6 Etudes" (written for Jihye Chang)
Korean Premiere: Natalie Williams, from "Twelves: 6 Etudes," No. 1(written for Jihye Chang)
Steinway Hall, Fort Worth (September 9, 2017)
* Solo recital featuring etudes by Abrahamsen, Chopin, Ligeti, Liszt, Fabian Panisello, Richard Reynolds, Earl Wild, and Natalie Williams
Tallahassee Music Teachers Association (January 9, 2017)
"The Allure of Ligeti" - Program including Abrahamsen, Czerny, Chopin, Debussy, Ligeti, Earl Wild, and Natalie Williams
Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (May 23)
* Special lecture recital "Virtuosity and Piano Etudes in the 20th-21st Century Music" (including etudes No. 1 and No. 4 by Natalie Williams) for the "20st-21th century music" class
2016-17: Preludes Plus
2016-17 will be the launching pad for this project, with a program centered around Chopin’s monumental preludes Op. 28. The short and often virtuosic and monothematic nature of this genre is very closely related to the etude genre, which is the focus of the year two of this project.
Framingham State University (MA) and Framingham Public Library (October 2016)
- Preludes by Chopin, Uzong Choe, Kapustin, Messiaen, Rachmaninoff, and Scriabin
- Premiere: Uzong Choe, prelude No. 18
- U. S. Premiere: Uzong Choe, prelude No. 8
Projects and News 2015
* I will be joining the faculty of Nuevo Mundo Festival and Academy Aruba!
Projects and News 2014
* I will be teaching at Florida State University as a Visiting Assistant Professor for 2014-2015.
* I joined the board of Tallahassee Youth Symphony.
Projects and News 2013
* I joined the renowned faculty at Brevard Music Center.
* I was the Artist in Residence for Rosemary Beach Foundation's "Music in Pictures" project for 2013-2014. We were awarded a grant from Florida State Art Board. I visited over 15 schools and presented lectures and performances on music, art, and fine art.
* "Flux-Flummoxed", a CD of new American music for violin and piano is released! You can find it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Flux-Flummoxed-American-Music-Violin/dp/B00CONBRDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372261181&sr=8-1&keywords=flux-flummoxed) and Albany Records. (http://www.albanyrecords.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AR&Product_Code=TROY1422&Category_Code=a-NR). Digital files will be available on Amazon and iTunes by the end of June!
* "Monthly Classical Music" by Sony Music Korea was released in October 2012. This is a collection of 12 CDs curated by Jihye. Each CD contains classical music related to each month's theme - for example, "Spring" in March, "Rain" in July. This collection has been one of the top sellers in classical CD category at Kyobo, Interpark, and Yes24 in Korea. You can also purchase it on http://bandibookus.com, where it's also the best seller. http://www.bandibookus.com/search/SearchTotal.do?kwd=%C0%CC%B4%DE%C0%C7+%C5%AC%B7%A1%BD%C4&tabCode=TOTAL&ad_url=
* A new chamber music CD is out on Centaur Label.
Steve Rouse Chamber Music
Sonata for Violin and Piano (with violinsit Benjamin Sung)
Projects and News 2011-2012
* Classics for Piano ("I Am Piano") from Universal Korea, 2 CD set
This set includes lots of different pieces for beginning and intermediate level piano students, including sonatas by Clementi, Bach's Notebook for Anna Magdalena, pieces written for children by Bartok, Gurlitt, Schumann, and Tchaikovsky.
* CD on Centaur Label
"Spiky Epiphanies" - Chamber Music of Marc Satterwhite
* Collaboration with the James Sewell Ballet, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
I performed Mendelssohn's Piano Trio in d minor with violinists Benjamin Sung and cellist Laura Sewell for the James Sewell Ballet's fall production on October and October at their new performing location, The Cowles Center.
* Recording Project - using the Aaron Copland Fund's Recording Grant
Ben and I received a recording grant from the Aaron Copland Foundation in 2009. We recorded four wonderful pieces written by four talented and successful American composers.
Christian Gentry, Flux-Flummoxed (with the Barlow Endowment Commissioning Grant/ written for Jihye Chang and Benjamin Sung)
Curtis Hughes, Insult to Injury
Derek Johnson, Fragments (written for Jihye Chang and Benjamin Sung)
Sean Shepherd, Sonata (written for Jihye Chang and Benjamin Sung)
* Liszt-Paganini Project with Violinist Benjamin Sung
2011 is the Liszt Bi-Centennial Year, and Ben and I were invited to present a recital of Liszt Paganini etudes and Paganini caprices that inspired Liszt at Concordia College Liszt Festival. This initial invitation led to many performances of the same program in Gravata and Garanhuns, Brazil, St. Olaf College (MN), Stockbridge (MA), and Jamestown College (ND). I also performed a solo recital with the 6 etudes and 5 related pieces in Olivet, France. We will keep playing this program as it's such a fun challange and a crowd pleaser!